Progressive ideas and movements Defining Moments, 1750–1918
Bringing it together
Progressive ideas and movements in Australia: Reflections
From what you have studied so far, how would you now answer the four key questions?
1. What key ideas emerged?
- What are the idea/movement’s key features?
2. Why did they develop and spread?
- How did the idea/movement start?
- Who were the idea/movement’s main developers?
- What aspects of the nineteenth century helped the idea/movement develop?
3. Why were they popular?
- How widespread and successful was the idea/movement?
- Who supported the idea/movement? Why?
- Who opposed the idea/movement? Why?
4. What impacts did they have?
- What long-term and short-term impacts did the idea/movement have?
- Why was the idea/movement significant in this historical period?
- Where can you still see the idea/movement in Australian society today?