Fall of Singapore
1. Extract from Cinesound Review: War in the Pacific (1941)
In 1942 the Japanese Imperial Army invaded Singapore, an island under British control. This was a humiliating disaster for the British Empire in the Pacific. Britain’s Singapore Strategy, supported by Australia, had been to build a naval base on the island to defend the region from a Japanese invasion. The Strategy had failed.
NFSA: 49746 Newsreel courtesy Cinesound Movietone Productions, NFSA
2. Extract from Cavalcade of Australia: 1901–1951 (1951)
Scenes from a documentary which uses archival film to highlight and illustrate the main events that occurred in the history of Australia in the fifty years following Federation. On the celebration of Australia's Jubilee as a Commonwealth, Australian film production organisations, both governmental and commercial, made archival material from their libraries available for this film.
Film Australia Collection NFSA: 1396113 Documentary courtesy National Film and Sound Archive
1. What does this short film clip show? Summarise what you see and hear.
2. Does the film appear to have a main purpose or message? If so, what do you think it is?
3. Who made the film clip and when was it made? Use this information to try to work out why the film was made. Does this change what you think about the purpose of the film?